Brew Kombucha, which is based in Cape Town, has become one of the leading kombucha brands in South Africa – helping locals discover the health benefits of kombucha tea.
It’s not by accident. Brew Kombucha managed to perfect the production of premium kombucha using Rooibos tea. The wellness industry tells us science has already proven health benefits of Rooibos tea.
What Brew Kombucha has done is take a great ingredient and transformed it into a healthy and absolutely delicious drink that is guaranteed to leave you wanting more.
What is kombucha?
Kombucha is not a new drink. By some accounts, it was apparently invented in China around 250BC, but has recently seen a revival.
In short, kombucha is a fizzy, natural fermented black or green tea – Rooibos from the Cederberg mountains and tea from a Sri Lankan carbon-neutral farm, in our case. Sugar (cut green sugar from Brazil in this case) is added to kick-start fermentation, then a SCOBY or ‘tea fungus’ to complete the process.
Brew Kombucha state that they use a unique Rooibos recipe that they carefully crafted with a slow and raw fermentation. They also emphasise on using only premium ingredients sourced from the best local suppliers.
Every batch is tested in the lab for the perfect natural balance of sweet and sour taste.
The actual Brew Kombucha distillery is built over one of the natural spring water aquifers coming from Table Mountain. They have carefully designed the manufacturing process to produce minimal waste.
Health benefits of kombucha
What you then get is a drink that is organic, full of antioxidants, indigenous medicinal elements, and packed with natural probiotics, vitamin C as well as 233% of your daily required intake of vitamin B12! Wow… Here is a full list of the kombucha’s nutritional value.
Health enthusiast point to a range of potential health benefits of kombucha, including:
- Gut health: The fermentation process of kombucha means it’s rich in probiotics similar to those found in the gut. Consuming probiotics may improve overall gut health and help treat diarrhoea and help ease irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). If the probiotics in kombucha improve gut health, they may also strengthen your body’s immune system.
- Reduced Cancer risk: Apparently a 2008 and a 2013 study, showed evidence to suggest drinking kombucha could help reduce the risk of cancer – at least that’s what test-tube studies showed.
- Reduced Infection risk: Kombucha produces acetic acid, which also found in vinegar. A 2000 study apparently found that kombucha can kill microbes and help fight a range of bacteria. This suggests that it may help prevent infections.
- Mental health: Some suggest that drinking kombucha can help treat depression and improve positive mental health.
- Heart disease: Studies in 2012 and 2015 found that kombucha helps to reduce levels of the cholesterol linked to heart disease. The research suggests drinking kombucha may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Weight-loss: When kombucha is made with green tea, it may aid weight loss- as suggested by a 2008 study. Apparently, obese people, who took green tea extract burned more calories and lost more weight than those, who did not.
- Liver health: Kombucha is known to contain antioxidants that help fight molecules in the body that can damage cells. A 2011 study found that the antioxidant-rich kombucha reduces toxins in the liver, which suggests that kombucha help in promoting liver health.
- Type 2 diabetes management: A 2012 study, suggested that kombucha helped to manage blood sugar levels in rats with diabetes.
Brew Kombucha products
Brew Kombucha currently makes three amazing kombucha drinks – their Original Rooibos; the Buchu Babe; and African Rose.
Reviews by Brew Kombucha fans
“Love the taste or entire range, feel energized after each bottle and their brewery setting is insane. Must experience for all,” wrote Dean Dicks on their Facebook page.
Greg Keal added; “Love the product! In fact, we stock our work fridge because we’re all obsessed.”
How to get your batch of Brew Kombucha
Brew Kombucha is located at Studio 1, Montebello Design Centre, 31 Newlands Avenue, Cape Town. Give them a call on 021 685 0846 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit their website at brewkombucha.co.za. Also follow them on Facebook HERE.